am available to speak in schools and libraries and at literary festivals.
I also speak at professional conferences. Please browse below.
For rates, dates and details, please contact me
TALKS FOR KIDS
My presentations for kids are humorous, interactive
and supported by colourful slide-shows as well as hand-held props
(manuscripts, notebooks, etc.). As most of my recent books are picture
books, I currently offer talks for grades 1 through 5.
Presentations generally start with the story-of-Stanley.
The Stanley books, illustrated by Bill Slavin, are a perfect vehicle
to discuss the reading, writing and publishing processes in a kid-and-dog-friendly
way. Also, I have found that these books ó being funny, visual and
about a "bad" dog ó have wide appeal across age groups and keep
audiences happily engaged.
The second half of my presentations is flexible.
I can offer any of these options:
* counting, rhyming and moving for grade 1 (Goodnight
* the sports/hockey story (The Farm Team)
* the folk tale & food tale (Toads on Toast)
* the wonderful worlds of what-if? (If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur
& If Kids Ruled the World)
If your school has a special focus or program,
please let me know. For details, or to make a booking, please contact
"Linda is a librarian's delight for school presentations. She
clearly loves what she does and conveys that simply and effectively
to a wide age range of children. Highly recommended!"
Diane Barrie, Teacher-Librarian, North Vancouver
"Thanks for such a terrific
day! Iíve heard nothing but rave reviews from my colleagues.
And when I had two little girls in my own class who didnít want
to eat lunch, but wanted to write a story, I know that you reached
the writer in each of them. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!Ē
Paul Berry, Teacher-Librarian, Coquitlam
"You were MAGNIFICENT!" Hal
Wake, Artistic Director, Vancouver Writers Fest, Vancouver
"All of the branch staff were so pleased
with all the energy, ideas and encouragement you gave to the
children and adults. Someday a writer will walk up to you and
say you inspired them." Ellen
Davies, Public Librarian, Salmon Arm
"My students were still buzzing by the
end of the day -- your Good Times Travel Agency books all went
home." Jody Colbourne, Teacher-Librarian,
TALKS FOR ADULTS
I am an experienced speaker at professional conferences
for teachers, librarians and writers. My talks are supported by
entertaining, informative slide-show presentations of picture-book
art, book covers and photos. I am always happy to tailor my talks
toward conference themes.
Here is a sample of my conference experience:
* Ontario Library Association Super Conference,
* Kaleidoscope Children's Literature Conference, Calgary
* Serendipity Children's Literature Conference, Vancouver
* Children's Literature Roundtable Conferences, Edmonton (keynote)
* Georgia Children's Literature Conference, Athens, Georgia
* CANSCAIP Packaginging Your Imagination Conference, Toronto (keynote)
* International Reading Association annual conferences (Atlanta,
Reno, Sacramento, Phoenix & more)
* Authorfest, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
* California Teacher Librarian Association Conference, Los Angeles
* Reading for the Love of It, Toronto (keynote)
* North Central Teachers Convention Alberta, Edmonton
* Saskatchewan Festival of Words, Regina (keynote)
* Yukon Teachers Association "Inspiring Writers" Conference, Whitehorse
To make a booking (or for more info), please email
ONTARIO TEACHERS & LIBRARIANS: For school and library
visits in Ontario, please contact Authors Booking Service at